Sunday, February 26, 2012

Shrimp and Bay Scallop, Scampi Style with heirloom tomatoes


I had a seafood soup on the mind but I got a special request for scampi (and scallops)... This went with the roasted cauliflower soup anyhow...  so I made a last minute left turn at the market and made my way toward a classic scampi.  I realized I had not made one of these in years so it would be fun.  And the jumbo 16-20 gulf shrimps were on sale and the fresh bay scallops were huge.  I got 2 lbs of shrimp and one of bay scallop.
When you clean the shrimp, reserve the shells for your stock.  either roast or sauté the shells in oil until you smell them and they are crispy but not burned.  Add water and to cover them and them go...   You could puree the shells after 20 minutes or so and let them go a bit longer before straining to extract all of the flavor.  Take the strained stock and set it aside to reduce to about a cup.
I seasoned the shrimp with my favorite smoke sea salt and a dash of papkrika, I always remembered paprika when making this dish.  I also zested a lemon and rubbed it on.  I juiced the entire large lemon and set aside.
Chop some fresh parsley and your heirloom tomato here and set aside. and start some jasmine rice on a  side burner.
In a large sauté pan I add the shrimp and just cooked both sides so they were pink but not cooked through, then the scallops and set aside.  They will bleed out some nice juice for later.
to the same pan I add some more oil and cook several chopped cloves of garlic and about a 1/4 of a yellow onion chopped plus a little chopped celery.  cook this for serval minutes without burning and add a half a cup of the nice light white wine you will be drinking with your meal, then add your lemon juice and your shrimp stock, reduce this by just about half then add a couple of TBS of good unsalted european butter, I like Plugra.  Add the shrimp and scallop and reserve juices and toss with the tomato and fresh parsley....  cover off the heat for a few minutes and start plating.   The tomato does not normally go in this dish.  It was an awesome tomato, and would have mad any dish proud...  so I did it.


No comments:

Post a Comment