Tuesday, February 14, 2012

curry coconut milk soup with shrimp and vegetables

I found more head on shrimp and made another stock yesterday...  Cray Cray had some curry he other day and I remembered I had some I had been meaning to use...  So I went after this pretty simple but fully satisfying curry soup.
I added ginger and onion and garlic and celery to the stock and let them heads roll for  good hour and a half...  hand blender, strain and reduceI sweated a half an onion and garlic in some grape seed oil and sprinkled about a TBS of curry in with the sweating onion...  add stock to this and transfer to a mixing bowl and puree with the mixer again along withe the rest of the stock and a 1/4 cup of coconut milk.in the same skillet I added more grape seed oil and sauteed the shrimp which got a curry rub before sauté.  when there were just colored but and still rare I pulled them to the side....  and added the puree back to the skillet.  add salt and cayenne to taste...  then added carrot, baby blue potato, tomato, okra, and fresh shucked corn...  when the potato was tender I added the shrimp and any juice that accumulated.  topped with cilantro and we were eating good.  The left overs were unreal.  I'm eating them as I type this.  Is this indian?  Is this thai?  either or both I suppose...  try this.  the curry was subtle and the crazy veggy combo really works here.  It's also all about the amazing shrimp stock.  You could do this so easily with chicken stock but go the extra mile for that special someone.
I'm starting to realize the hand blender and the strainer are right up there next to knife and cutting board, my most important kitchen tools.  Everyone should have one.

At first Cray Cray wanted to go out tonight for dinner...  but we are both thinking it's gunna be good for the blog and good for our bellies to stay in and celebrate Valentino day here at home...  that way I can get drunk and chase her around the house a bit...  spin some favorite records. and relax.

No comments:

Post a Comment