Saturday, March 10, 2012

Steak, Luchadors, and Leon Russell

Well steak it was.  We got to Bill and Livi's and he had just gone and done it.  Not one but TWO cowboy bone in ribeye steaks.  about an inch and a half thick.  A stalk of brussel sprouts and some baby red bliss.  I got right to work as we were starving and we got to a bit of a late start.  We started with fresh grapefruit poloma style margarita's while I boiled some water for the potatoes.  I took the brussels of the stalk and trimmed them and set them in a casserole dish whole, drizzled with olive oil, salt and garlic powder, and pepper...  a 1/4 inch of chicken stock and into a hot oven...  425.
While we did these we snacked on a wedge salad and sipped our margys.
I had set the steak out for the entire time to bring it to room temp, or as close as I could to it.
When I smelled the brussels they were done and crispy outer shell, and buttery in the middle.  I set them out and turned the oven up even more.  I smashed the red bliss on a baking sheet and covered them with olive oil salt and pepper and into the hot oven (turned it up to 450)....   dalloped them with butter too.
When I started to smell the potatoes they were done too and I started the steak...  beacause of the rain I brought my cat iron skillet and got it real hot.  I liberally salted one side of the steak with my hickory and alderwood smoked sea salts and pepper.  and seared that puppy for 4 almost 5 minutes.  do not touch it until you want to flip it.  I salt and peppered the other side and flipped for 4 minutes,  add a half a stick of butter here and let if foam up and blend with the fat from them meat.  flip the skillet back and spoon the buttery fat over top of the steak for the entire 4 minutes.  Pull from the pan and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes.

I brought over some NM red chile sauce and in order to tame the heat a bit I dropped some chopped tomato in the cleaned skillet and cooked it down a bit before adding the NM red.   It blended a bit and I poured it onto the lady guadalupe plate,  plated the brussels and potatoes in a bowl side by side,  sliced the rib eye in 1/2 inch thick slices and placed over the sauce.

for desert?  I repeated this process for steak number two.

the soundtrack?  Elton Johns first album on vinyl followed by Leon Russel.  Elton wanted to be Leon.  sounded like the same artist really...  only Leon does something to me that I cant explain.  Somewhere in his voice and in his playing he touches me deeply.   This certainly made the food taste better.

We watched some Los Panchos on youtube and had one last drink before Bill sent us off with the gift of a Mil Mascaras luchador belt buckle.  Bill want to bring back the luchador.   I'm in.

No comments:

Post a Comment