Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Blackened Redfish over fresh tomato sauce and yukon gold medallions


Blackening is an amazing way to cook any hearty white fish. Catfish and Redfish are my favorites...  (hard not to fry a catfish).
The redfish was looking oh so good and on special the other day...  I got after it.  I made a pretty standard blacken seasoning without the cayenne and light on the salt.  The recipients of this dish do not have spicy palates.   Traditionally you melt some butter and dip the fish in the butter and then seasoning then straight into a scorching hot skillet.  I substituted grape seed oil for the butter and got a good sear on the one side.  I had peeled potatoes boiling on the back burner.  On the front I cooked some garlic in olive oil.  I blanched about eight cluster tomatoes with an X cut on the bottom.  the skins came right off and they were ready to add to my garlic and hot oil.  they cooked down for a while...  I helped it with some nice white wine, about a half a cup, when I had a sauce working I pureed with some fish stock bouillon and that sufficed my savory.  no salt.
I threw the red fish fillets on a sheet pan and finished them in the oven at 350 with the convection on. When the potatoes were soft I pulled them and sliced medallions with a slicing knife so not to break them.  and placed two on top of a ladle of the red sauce, and then the Redfish.  I served with a side of white asparagus with leeks and vanilla pepper.
It was a hit.

the sauce

No comments:

Post a Comment