Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Maryland Style Crab Soup

Every now and again I remember my MD roots.  My family moved to Gaitherburg, MD in 1979.  Ripping me from the soulful Austin, TX in the seventies...  I never lost my accent.  I missed Austin so much I moved back as an adult in 1998 not really knowing anyone.  Stayed for six years...  and now I'm back here again. Austin will always have a hold on me.  There are things I take with me though from all of the fine places I get to travel to and live.  The first thing I remember falling in love with, culinarily speaking was Chesapeake bay crabs.  We'd have them in the summer with corn and we'd pick them up steamed from the local fish market by the bushel.  You'd sit and pick all day long til yer fingers stung and your mouth was tingling.  Stinky, dirty  fun.  I even scooped the mustard and ate it all up.   Later on when I got to New Orleans I found I was a natural for crawfish eatin and head suckin due to my early experience with MD crabs.

Every now and again I get a hankering for some good ol' crab soup,  It is extremely satisfying and healthy too.  I started this one with a chopped leek and a few garlic cloves, one diced carrot and celery stalk in some olive oil....  a good pull of white wine, at least a cup.  I add my spices here.   Celery seed, cayenne, white pepper, dry mustard, paprika, any italian dry herb blend, and a bay leaf.  You could also add a touch of all spice, clove, cardamum, ginger, nutmeg here.  This will mimic your traditional Old Bay seasoning.  You can use Old bay but be careful of the salt that come with it.  I find I want more of the spice an less of the salt.  Then I add some nice strained tomato, try the Mutti brand (17 oz. )with only italian tomato or Pomi brand (24 oz).  if you use Pomi reserve 10 oz or so for later use.  Use tomato in a carton or jar as opposed to canned, always.
Add four fresh shucked sweet corn from the cob,  one diced zucchini, half a diced sweet onion, a diced red pepper, and finally a full pound of lump carb meat, you could use claw if you are on a budget, will be fine.  Most restaurant style soup like this will be claw and only a half a pound....  so you are really going for it here with crab flavor and actual chunks of crab in every bite.  I add some smoked sea salt to taste and cracked black pepper.  Some fresh parsley is nice to finish.  I had some cilantro and it was perfect and bright at the end.  Add a touch more wine if you can't feel it.  Mine was drunk enough at this point.  I may have added a heavy cup at the top though...  Ooopsie.  I love this soup!

here's better look at the soup pot.  CHUNKY!

No comments:

Post a Comment