Friday, March 9, 2012

Rainy Day Chowda

It's been rainy and cold all day...  blahh.  The first day of SXSW and I don't want anybody's free beer or food plate.  I just want to sit here and have a michelada and cook in my own kitchen.  We have not had enough  rain or cold for that matter down here this entire winter.  So it's no surprise really that we bring in spring and SXSW with awful weather.  I get it.  haha funny.
I headed out to HEB in the thick of the rain storm and picked up a few things we needed around the house but couldn't shake the feeling that I would be missing a great opportunity to make a clam chowder.  Soon enough it will be bajillion degrees out there no one want a chowder then.  Part of me loves this weather and I miss this part of it a little.   I made a fire when I got home and started my chowda, after I made a michelada, of course.
Here's how I started this one....  render fat from two slices of bacon, and add one chopped onion, smoked sea salt/pepper, cover and sweat.  If I had some celery I'd add a half a chopped stalk here.  I did add a couple of chopped garlic cloves though.  Add one jar of clam juice.  and the juice from three cans.  (when I go big and impressive I go to central market for chopped fresh clams but doxie are just fine and delicious in a pinch)  and three medium white potatoes diced.  When the potatoes are soft make a roux with 3 TBS of butter and 3TBS of your flour of choice and add to the stock.  Then add the chopped clams and 1/2 pint of cream.  Serve and garnish with chopped parsley and more cracked pepper.   This will be delicious tomorrow.  It's delicious now actually and I'm going in for another bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment