Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Fried Oyster Taco

Fried Oyster taco?  O.K. but for breakfast???  Sure why not?  Me and Cray Cray were celebrating something I know we were staying home from the SXSW interactive part one night because we had an early morning with AYREP (Austin Young Real Estate Professionals).  She was going to the event and had a hand in getting me on board as entertainment.  Playing my tunes in North Austin at the bright hour of 9am.  We woke up at 7am!  Any of y'all who know me know this is really something.  Turned out to be my only SXSW event and I was happy to get paid and get on with the music part of it all.
We got 2 Dozen Oysters and champagne cocktails going early.  I shuck 'em in the back yard and we keep the shells (cleaned ones) for out garden area.  We also had a nice crab cake and salad to go with it after...  we got to wanting those crab cakes after about a dozen and a half so I shucked and saves a half a dozen big boys.
next day or so I got o scrounging around the fridge and we had just enough stuff to put together two tacos.  I have found the key to frying these is get a cast iron skillet crankin' and enough oil to get em covered about a 1/4 ways up but not too much to waste oil or nothing like that.  Use your thermometer and make sure it reads 375.   be careful not to let it touch the skillet.  this is tricky.  I can sorta tell when it's ready but still check cuz it sure does help.  I made a one egg wash.  coated the oysters in tapioca starch, dipped in the egg wash and into the spiced corn meal mix and into the hot skillet, a couple of minutes on each side is really all it needs.  Use your brains here depending on size of the oyster and all...  make sure your oil is hot enough!  I use grape seed oil.  it's clean and does not smell up the house or impart it's flavor on my food.  It has a high burning point and it's good for you.  Use grape seed oil for frying.
On a separate skillet I have been heating  two corn tortillas.  When the oysters are done I place them on a plate with paper towel to drain any excess oil, there isn't much.
I place a dallop of tartar on the tortilla, three big oysters, hot peppers, some avocado, shaved red onion an diced tomato, side of baby spinach (some cabbage woulda been nice here).  and topped all of that with some spicy habanero salsa.  Good morning SXSW I look forward to the fun....  later that night we went to J Muellers BBQ for a DIYevent  about web sites and blogging....  things I need to know about.  We tore up a plate of some world class BBQ brisket, short ribs, pork ribs, sausage and sides, even went back for seconds...  That was a good food day.

1 comment:

  1. Them ersters look great, and I'd love to taste those roasted brussell's sprouts below. But Dude, you need a grill for that ribeye!

    Up in the spotlight, oh does it feel right? Well the altitude, really gets to me...

    L. Russell

    ReplyDelete