Thursday, March 8, 2012

French onion soup with gruyere crouton


I nearly forgot to post this French onion soup.  I began by sweating an organic red and yellow onion cut in medium sized circles.  A little salt and pep and cover the pan.  check and stir a little.  at least 10 minutes maybe longer.  when they are just about to start getting some color on them I hit it with a half a cup of nice white wine.  reduce and add the beef stock.  I have some stock left over from some marrow bones I added to a box of kitchen basics.  I added some fresh herbs here, sage, rosemary and thyme...  I added them whole so I could pull them easily later when I got the flavor I was seeking.  I cut a baguette into rounds and hollowed them and filled with the gruyere.  baked them until they over flowed, crunchy and gooey on the inside.  The crouton comes off like a crouton with a cheesy crisp chip base.
Adding one more big 1/2 cup of red wine near the end I achieved the flavor I was going for.  I like tasting the wine in this.
Some fresh parsley at the end and some parmesan reggiano and drop in the croutons.
this is comfort food at its best.

the meal was followed by a mixed grill of chicken, shrimp, baby octopus, and squid.  They all were marinated in olive oil, garlic, the fresh herb trio, and lemon zest.  when they came off the grill they were sprinkled with red sumac...  there were also grilled eggplant rounds and zucchini.  I drizzled some nice balsamic on them and a sprinkle of dried oregano.

No comments:

Post a Comment