Friday, January 20, 2012

spaghetti squash alla carbonara

now I am not sick of these shitrataki noodles entirely but I wanted to try something tonight while sticking to our low cal tasty meals...  and as of late I am admittedly "into" the noodle sauce thing.  I'll get on to something else soon I promise but I'm not bored yet so here it is.
We have made some nice spaghetti squash dishes in the past, I usually make a marinara or fresh red sauce with it, sometimes a garlic butter sauce.
The other morning I left for McAllen I made myself some spaghetti (shirataki) alla carbonara I thought about the spaghetti squash I had lying around and wondered if this would work in a carbonara.  While I
cooked the squash i started the onions and bacon (I'm definitely getting some guanchale next time).   The bacon and onions cooked slowly for 30 mins or so on low.  Lotsa cracked pepper.  I threw Roma in (one diced flesh only) becuase it needed to be eaten before we go on our trip to Dallas.
I forked the squash and added to my bacon and onion mixture.  Took it off of the heat, then added the small egg whites, saving the yolk, then stirred in between a 1/4 and a 1/2 cup of parmesan reggiano.  plated in a bird nest and added the yolk just as I served...  it was the delicious.  I highly recommend it.

Spaghetti Squash  41 calories per cup x 5 cups = 205
bacon 41calories  per strip x 6 strips = 246
1 small cooked onion 26
1/4 cup parmesan 107
roma tomato 35
3 small eggs 53 x 3 =159

total calories for two servings 778
this meal was well under 5 bucks....

we had a salad too...

No comments:

Post a Comment