Monday, January 23, 2012

Eggplant Pizza L.E.S. style

Bob's Red Mill brand, that standard brand you all see in the store nowadays gluten free pizza crust...  well it's good and you get two 12 inch pizza's outa one package.  I sometimes miss pizza and I miss NYC pizza for sure.   There were two favorites I had, Stromboli's on St Marks made a pizza with bacon and italian sausage fresh tomato and fresh basil.  I repeat that often.  I also loved the eggplant pizza at Rosario's on the LES.  I do this one too...  often.  Then theres the classic supreme pizza with pepperoni, sausage, green pepper, onion, black olive, and mushroom if you got some.  That something about the green pepper and sausage combo reminds me of the frozen pizza's we'd get when mom and dad were going out ad the baby sitter had to cook a frozen pizza for us kids... abondanza!

Try this brand and follow directions and let the dough rest a while before making the crust.  I make it as thin as possible, precooking is must for crispy crust especially for a pizza a lot of topping.  I just fileld up my blackberry with photos and took out the memory card so my phone would actually work...   lotsa good food shots on there.  But I took this one the other night of our eggplant pizza Rosario style.

as for the sauce? simpler (and spicier) the better  I use a good can of tomato paste equal parts water.  and stir in fine chopped garlic, cayenne pepper, touch of anchovy paste, touch of agave nectar and stir.   The harder mozzarella cheese melts better than fresh but used fresh here on this pizza and it was stretchy and yummy.  One can is jus not quite enough for two pizzas if you like sauce...  it will stretch for you light sauce lovers.  I usually used a bit more like 3/4's of the prepared sauce on my pizza.
this shot is from last week.  I'll calorie count 'em later.

tonight i'm making middle eastern lamb burgers with tzatziki sauce and feta....    more later y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment