Thursday, January 19, 2012

Rio Grande Valley

It's not a trip to the Rio Grande Valley with out a bowl of menudo.  This morning I had the pleasure of eating home made menudo.  I was hired to cook a 20 person poker party down here in the valley tonight and I arrived early to hang with my old friend, ex- restauranteur, and all around artistic tsunami.  He and his momma made this batch of "crudo" menudo for their annual new years day party (starts at 2am).  It's soothing and delicious and helped calm my stomach from the celebratory drinking the night before.
We decided on Paella...  it will be my take on the dish as it was shown to me by fellow chef and master guitarist, Diego Garcia.  the last one we did was on his birthday on an outdoor flame and we fed a hungry 12...  I have two pans and hope to food a hungry 20 poker playing men (and women) well.  I may sit on this game too and see what I can do.
We got 6 lbs of shrimp 8 lbs of chicken thighs and although Diego wold not approve of the combo, some andouille sausage...  the Rio Grande valley had a connection to New Orleans architecturally and I have noticed come ingredients made it here too.  Andouille is my homage to this bridge.


We found the proper carnaroli rice and saffron.  First task - the stock.  Players will be here in a couple of hours.  Pictures to come....   wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment