Saturday, May 12, 2012

TX Style BBQ Brisket

O.K. this is to cool...  I smoke briskets several times a year and its like a sport.  I can see why they compete.  There is so much care put into these babies.  and I am cooking these particular four giant packers for the one and only Ian Maclagan of the Faces, the newest inductee into the rock and roll hall of fame.  It's his birthday and a friend recommended me for the gig.  It was kind of last minute bu I hear his parties are epic.  they are expecting 100 or more.
I made ranch beans and TX style potato salad as sides + a home made BBQ sauce with espresso  (a little something I ripped off from Aaron Franklin of franklin's world class BBQ).
I like to use old mesquite when I can...  couldnt find it.  It is sweet after a long burn.  The young mesquite can be bitter.  However, I always love Hickory in a long smoke and chose Pecan wood to join it this time around...  I also like Oak.  Franklin uses  an Oak and Hickory blend.
My rub was a classic cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, course ground peppercorns, brown sugar, himalayan pink salt, and maybe a smidge of another thing or two....  I borrowed a bullet smoker from a friend because mine was too small for the amount meat I was smoking...  I needed to use both.  and they were a little different in their timing...  kepping the temp steady.  eventually i got the rhythm of them both down.  I check in every hour and half or even two and can start a new chimney and add new coals to the smokers fairly quickly.  They have been holding steady around 200...  I need 225 but I'll take steady a 200 if thats what it's giving me.  they are really large so they could take a while.  usually an hour and half per pound so...  I got them started at 4pm and I serve at 7pm till its gone.
I'll wrap them around 2pm and set them in my ice coolers on some towels...  and they should seal in the heat and keep them at temperature for at least 2 and half to 3 hours. At 4pm i'll get them back on the fire at the site and finish them for a couple of hours...  or maybe the big ones will need more time.? we'll just have to see.
Mac is an englishman but a Texan for many years now...  He has a several acres in Manor and this will be a field party of Austin musicians and cats on the scene...  I'm pretty stoked,  It's a lot of work...  but will be  lot of fun.  I am gunna nap now and do the 2hr naps til noon if I can pull it off.




Party was a success.  Mac is a sweet man and he has great friends.  The Party went late.  Best part was late night in the studio hangin and listening to tunes.  The brisket got rave reviews and that made me feel real good.  It was nice to be there.  When I got home though, I was exhausted.  Dead and beat up... I may never work a party alone again.  ever.  That was ridiculous.  I am still trying to recover and it's Monday night.
I needed two hot tub soaks and some deep tissue massage this morning just to get close to normal.

I'll probably do another brisket this weekend...  serve it with my pickles

No comments:

Post a Comment